Sometimes while using android mobile phones an error may crop up showing “Screen Overlay Detected”. This is a sort of message request given to a user. This error occurs when suppose the user uses a floating app and then starts to run a newly installed application which demands to access rights. By floating apps, I mean to say about the apps that might or are able to appear over other apps such as Facebook messenger’s head chat. This feature is also known as “Draw over other apps”.
This problem is widely faced by most of the Samsung and Motorola users. Thus many complaints were reported about this matter by the users. This mainly affected the manufacturers of these smartphones. With the help of this guide to fix screen overlay detected, this problem was replicated for Vodafone and Samsung smartphones.
So if a user installs a new app while using Facebook messenger chat head. Suppose this app does not allows floating apps then this error may be faced by users as Android will not allow permissions to be changed while an app is running.
How to Fix “Screen Overlay Detected” Error on Android
I have seen many sites are sharing the guide on how to turn off screen overlay but our mission is different. How Tech Hack is providing you with the tutorial to Fix “Screen Overlay Detected” Error on any Android device. Not the regular garbage which you find on other sites. Hence, you can fix the screen overlay detected error using the below guides. Follow the below methods to fix this issue: –
1. Fix “Screen Overlay Detected” Error from Settings:
For Non-Samsung users – First of all, find out which apps have permission enabling floating apps over it. This can be done by following few steps:
- Open the settings option on your Android phone
- Search the term “draw” from the given search panel simply by typing
- Then just tap Draw over other applications.
There is also an alternative method for doing the above task. It can be done by these steps: Settings >> [Gear Icon] >> Draw over other apps.
For Samsung users – Samsung users may follow the following steps: Settings>> Applications>> Application Manager>> Press More>> Apps that can appear on top.
2. Check Apps Permission:
After the first step, you will confront a list of apps on your screen that allows or have permission to use floating apps or other screen overlays over it.
Now the user needs to figure out the problematic apps and temporarily needs to deny the permission of drawing over the screen. Now how will you understand and distinguish the trouble- making apps? Here are the steps:
- If you notice an app bubble on the screen, then it is quite identifiable that you have got the troublesome app. Now you can do two things: Either hide the app bubble or just disable the app from the list.
- Now if you have an app installed on your device that changes the colour of display or adjusts the brightness of the screen. Then the thing you need to do is disabling the Clean Master app from the list to avoid any sort of trouble.
3. Retry the App by Launching it Again:
Now you can again launch the app freshly and while getting in the way it should request for permissions without “Display Overlay Detected” option.
Samsung users should consider one thing over here: This problem might be faced by the Samsung users because of the one-handed keyboard setting. One can disable or deactivate that setting by following the steps: Settings>> Advanced Option>> One-handed Operation.
4. Reactivating Screen Overlays:
Now you have to re-enable the overlay permission that you had disabled in method 2. It would be worthy enough if you reactivate only those apps that you will consider to use.
5. Use of Safe Mode:
If all the above steps fail then you can go for this step. All you need to do is enable and use Safe Mode. This will manage the permissions of applications. You will also have to remember the apps you are having issues with. The following steps should be taken into consideration to fix the problem:
- Press the power button on your Android device.
- Press and hold the “Power Off” option on the pop-up prompt which is shown on the screen.
- After holding it for a few seconds, another prompt pops up on the screen which asks whether you want to enable Safe Mode or not.
- You need to choose an OK option. This will reboot the device in Safe Mode.
- Then when the android device turns ON, go to the settings and then go to “Apps”.
- From here find out the app that had suffered from screen overlay problem by scrolling all over. Then select that particular app.
- Then the app page opens. Select “Permissions” from it.
- On the permission page, just enable all the permissions that the app was asking for previously.
- After all the steps are done, reboot the phone. The problem will be then solved completely.
These were a few steps that might work out for the Screen Overlay Detection problem. This might be an inelegant way but then until Google makes changes to the apps so that it does not cause such problems. Thus there will be no interference with permission dialogues.
To conclude upon this topic, I would like to mention that these little things should be taken care of so that you do not face any such trouble while using any application on your Android device.
Newer versions of Android users do not face such problems. This error is mainly reported by the Android Marshmallow users.
Though with the advancement of technology, these problems will be considered and resolved. All we need to do is be aware of such errors so that it might not harm our expensive Android phones. As we all know that mobile phones now- a- days have become an integral part of an individual.
I hope you made use of our Fix “Screen Overlay Detected” Error guide, didn’t you?
In case you have any doubts regarding this, don’t forget to leave a comment below. I will reach out to you at the earliest.
Share How to Fix “Screen Overlay Detected” Error on Android with your friends. Let them get the fixed this screen overlay detected error on their phone.